On March 5th, I tuned in to a live webcast about the newly proposed budget for the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). My interest was in learning what’s coming down the pike for potential funding priorities.
In her presentation, Administrator Hyde suggested that general emphasis will be on bringing the use of evidence-based practices to scale, and on integrating behavioral health care/addiction services with primary care. Her tone was positive—she acknowledged the President’s continued commitment to addressing the nation’s behavioral health, and explained how this budget differs from past years. View presentation slides.
Here are the Top 5 opportunities that caught my eye:
- $15 mil for Mental Health First Aid
- $20 mil for Healthy Transitions for youth ages 16-25 years and their families
- $40 mil for behavioral healthcare workforce training and data
- Expanded Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF Rx) to fight prescription drug abuse
- ACF partnership to reduce the use of psychotropic medications with young people in child welfare systems
What was the most important part of this budget for your organization? We’d love to hear in the comments section below!
~ Jennifer Smith, Research Associate