This four-and-a-half hour training addresses a variety of leadership styles and involves exploring personal beliefs and ideas about leadership and qualities of leaders that participants know. Youth examine youth-adult partnerships, how they function and the best ways to develop and maintain positive youth-adult partnerships. Participants investigate perceptions of power and how concepts of power can either facilitate or act as barriers to effective leadership. Group discussions and activities also address various methods of decision making. Finally, the training focuses on ways of shifting the balance of power to a more participatory stance and how youth can create positive and effective youth-adult partnerships in their own communities.
What You’ll Learn
- What characterizes effective youth-adult partnerships
- To develop and practice skills for working together in teams
- Strategies for overcoming challenges that arise in youth-adult partnerships
- Tips to increase effectiveness when youth and adults work together
- Action steps for creating effective youth-adult teams in their communities