Advocacy in a Digital Age
Before jumping in to e-advocacy, it’s important to understand the legal limits of advocacy and lobbying for nonprofit organizations; Influencing Public Policy in the Digital Age from Alliance for Justice offers an overview of what’s considered okay and what’s over the line.
Tips for Using Social Media
- Post links to news articles that explore advocacy issues related to your mission
- Alert supporters to real-life actions they can take to further your cause
- Encourage dialogue; post a thought-provoking link and pose a question to your audience
- Post photos or real-time updates during advocacy events and legislative days
- Upload videos of advocates sharing personal stories
- Create an open and secret Facebook groups
- Link virtual campaigns to actual activities. Remember there’s no substitute for real world action!